Every Woman removes gender barriers

The organization, Every Woman, bridges the gap between women on campus by focusing on issues  that women face within society.

“Every Woman helps to create unity for all women of all ethnicities and create a more diverse organization,” Every Woman president Brittany Walker said.

Men are encouraged to join Every Woman to discuss and gain perspective on women’s issues, Walker said.

“I am more aware of the biases that women encounter and the privileges I have from being a male,” Steve Washington said.

Every Woman is a support system and allows people to see how others feel.  It also helps women open up to others, Ciara Thornton said, Every Woman vice president.

“Every Woman has taught me how to interact with other women, help other women and better understand the worth of a woman,” Ebony Murphy, secretary of Every Woman said.  “This organization really empowers women of all races.”

Every Woman is hosting a bake sale from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Feb. 14, in Doudna Hall near the Lundeen Lecture Hall.  The money raised from the bake sale will be utilized for events Every Woman puts on for the organization and its members.

Some of the events Every Woman plans are movie nights and game nights.  They also plan events with the Black Student Union.  During the summer, the group plan cookouts to keep members of the group active.  Every Woman fund raises primarily for the retreat they host at the end of each year.

Every Woman meets from 7-9 p.m.,every Wednesday in 135 Doudna Hall.  Walker, Thornton and Murphy emphasized that the group is open to anyone and everyone is encouraged to come to the meeting.  Further inquiries about Every Woman can be reverted to Walker at [email protected].