Students try out for Pioneers Got Talent

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville held auditions for Pioneers Got Talent on Feb. 18 and 19.

The auditions, previously known as Pioneer Idol, took place in the Haus, and were coordinated by Campus Programming and Relations.

Pioneers Got Talent event producer Jeremy Mcdermott, a senior business administration and accounting major, highlighted the importance the event’s name change.

“The change from Pioneer Idol to Pioneers Got Talent allows for more people to come here and perform,” Mcdermott said.

Although the name change was put in place to create a more eclectic show, most auditions did utilize musical talents such as singing, playing guitar and even rapping.

The two-day audition process provided nearly 30 ten minute open audition slots in which each act was judged based on the following criteria: overall performance, audience response, stage appearance/presence, originality, projection and time limit.  The final score for each act was out of a possible 60 total points.

The finale holds spots for the top ten scoring acts.  Trophies and gift certificates, purchased with CPR funding, will be granted to the first, second and third place finishers during the finale held from 7-10 p.m. March 2 in the Pioneer Crossing.   In addition, comedian Christela Alanzo will be making a guest appearance.

“We would like to see the Crossing about 300 packed for the finale,” said Trapper Mitchell, Pioneers Got Talent judge.  “It is fun seeing all of the different student talents. It takes guts to get up there.”