Live Action “Snow White” Controversy

Rachel Zegler’s casting as Snow White causes an uproar among fans
Abigail Shimniok graphic

The remake of “Snow White” starring Rachel Zegler, has been incurring long, heated backlash following Zegler’s comments on the movie as well as her complexion.
Disney began its climb into fame in 1937 with its first major hit, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” This timely movie has since been remembered as a Disney classic; however some fans are livid with the new live-action remake of the film.
Zegler, known for her most recent part in the 2021 remake of “West Side Story,” was given the role of Snow White in the new live-action version of the film “Snow White.” When Disney announced the movie was set to be released in March 2024, fans were angered as they noticed Zegler’s skin tone.
Within “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” Disney described the main character, Snow White, as having skin “as white as snow.” Zegler, being of Colombian and Polish descent, does not fit this image of milky-white skin. These fans then moved on to harass Zegler on her social media as well as spread the word around TikTok.
Once the news spread on social media, others began to take notice of Zegler more. In doing so, fans kept an eye on all interviews done by the star and began nitpicking at her words about the upcoming movie.
In an interview with Variety, Zegler hinted to the fans about bringing a “modern edge” to “Snow White.” This comment by Zegler left many fans worried about the changes that were being made to “Snow White” and caused an uproar once again.
Zegler responded to the backlash, “… [Snow White] is not going to be saved by the prince, and she is not going to be dreaming about true love; she is going to be dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be and that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave and true.”
She has since been accused of being anti-feminist because of her comments of the Disney princess due to a user, who goes by the handle “CosyWithAngie” on TikTok, said that criticizing Disney princesses is “pseudo-feminism.”. “Criticizing Disney princesses is not feminist. Not every woman is a leader. Not every woman wants to be a leader. Not every woman wants or craves power,” They said
Many fans of the movie felt outraged at this accusation towards Zegler. They defended her on the app and even in the comments of the video that was posted on TikTok.
Zegler did not reply directly to the video; however, she did go to X (formerly Twitter) to say, “Remember to be kind. Treat each other with patience and empathy. Remember that you are loved unconditionally, no matter your mistakes, no matter your misunderstandings.”
There is currently no new information on Zegler’s stance on the video or any of the continuing animosity around her role as Snow White. Some are still skeptical about her role; however, some are more supportive now because of the hate the star has had to endure. Fans are eagerly awaiting more teasers on her performance in the movie.