Students Featured in Honors Recital

Vocalists and Instrumentalists perform in Brodbeck Concert Hall
Abigail Shimniok graphic

Seven musicians from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville were featured in a recital at the Brodbeck Concert Hall on Sept. 24. The performances featured both instrumentalists and vocal music, all performing individually or with piano accompaniment.
Dainel Rowland, assistant professor of low brass , said “As always, the Honors Recital was a roaring success showcasing UW-Platteville’s most talented, hardworking musicians.” The seven students were selected at the end of the previous semester, based on their musical performance.
The recital featured instrumentalists Jack Mabis (percussion), Hayley Green (alto saxophone), Jemimah Holden (piano) and Samantha Benz (bass clarinet) as well as vocalists Elyse Harvancik, Casey Mack and Matty Olson.
“Everyone was fantastic,” Mack stated.
When asked about the recital, Benz said, “I enjoyed being able to listen to my talented friends.”
“I think it went fairly well,” Holden said. “I missed a few notes, but I was able to keep tempo, which was my biggest concern.”
Multiple performers said they’ve been practicing their pieces since February. “Practice a lot- it’s the only way to get better,” Green said. Jemimah Holden admitted to practicing her piano piece at least three hours daily.
The Student Honors Recital lasted about an hour and half, and the musicians were met by proud family members as well as community members afterwards.