UW-Badgers Trip to Platteville Campus

Abigail Shimniok graphic

The Wisconsin Badgers football team stayed at UW-Platteville’s campus on Aug. 2-7, 2023. The team engaged in practice sessions while they made use of the Ralph E. Davis Pioneer Stadium, Williams Fieldhouse, Bridgeway Hall and Pioneer Crossing.
Head Coach Luke Fickell explained in a media release that the purpose of the team’s visit was to strengthen interpersonal relationships between players and their coaches, as well as improve overall performance.
“You will sit in the meal room or the snack room at night and talk with your guys and hang with your guys, and I think there’s a lot more opportunities for us to get to know each other,” Fickell stated.
As the Badgers sharpened their skills at UW-Platteville, their trip served as a testament to the team’s dedication and determination to excel in the upcoming football season. Fickell stated that a different environment helped bring the players closer together and give them a head start in future games.
Assistant Chancellor Kristina Navarro, Director of Athletics and Recreation, stated that “We are thrilled to welcome the Badgers to the UW-Platteville campus for their pre-season training camp. We have a longstanding tradition of supporting football training camps with the Chicago Bears.”
Navarro went on to say that it was a point of pride for everyone on campus to provide this type of transformational experience to athletes. Navarro additionally mentioned that “as a Badger alum and former employee, it was extremely important to me to provide an opportunity Badger student-athletes will remember when Coach Fickell and Greg Gillum reached out. Chancellor Tammy Evetovich, Head Coach Ryan Munz and I are excited to welcome the Badgers to our first-class dining facilities, residence halls and athletics facilities during their closed practice sessions.”