Wings and Wheels Air Strip Race

Ethan Hack photo

Automotive Enthusiasts Club and Dubuque Car Crew, Low Standards, worked together on Sept. 23 to celebrate the car community and raise money for AEC with the Wings and Wheels event.
The entrance fee for the event was $5 for spectators, $10 for entering the car show and $15 to race down the air strip. Over 100 people had registered between the car show and radar run.
AEC Event Coordinator, Taylor Lawrence, explained how the event gives people the chance to come together within the car and motorcycle communities to share enthusiasm for the same thing.
The event consists of a small car show followed by cars individually racing down the Platteville Municipal Airport runway. Each car gets their speed recorded with a radar gun. The radar run event consisted of 102 runs, with the highest speed of 149 mph by Jordan Rockerson on a Kawasaki ZX14R motorcycle.
“We do Wings and Wheels to be able to give AEC and others the chance to run their cars in a safe controlled environment without endangering themselves or others,” President and Co-Owner of Low Standards and Event Coordinator for Wings and Wheels 2023 Corian Du Plessis said. “I think we have a really good relationship with the AEC, they ask us for help, and we ask them for help, they are always willing and we are always willing.”
This is the second year Low Standards Car Crew from Dubuque, IA, has put on the Wings and Wheels event for AEC, but they have working together for four years. Low Standards Car Crew works on vinyl decals and merchandise as a business, but the overall goal for the volunteer group is to promote driving safety.
“We really appreciate what Low Standards does as a club and a community; they are a great bunch of people. We are thankful for everything they do for us and the opportunities they have given us,” AEC Vice President JC Heinrichs said.
The next event for AEC will be their semesterly car show on Oct. 8 from 10 a.m. till 2 p.m. at Millennium Cinema in Platteville.