Abortions Resume in Wisconsin

Two clinics open to provide abortions to the public
Abigail Shimniok graphic

Planned Parenthood abortion clinics in Madison and Milwaukee have begun to provide abortions as of Sept. 18, 2023, one year after the Roe v. Wade reversal ruling at the Supreme Court.
The Dobbs v. Jackson decision of June 2022 resulted in the states being able to decide whether abortions are legal. In Wisconsin, the ruling reverted to the 1849 law, where abortion was only legal if it was the only option to save the mother’s life.
The 1849 abortion law was left up to judgement by the court, which was widely accepted as a complete ban over abortions.
According to the Court, abortions are only illegal in Wisconsin if an infant is murdered, not a medical abortion that is consented, as stated by Dane County Circuit Judge, Diane Schlipper. There is no “1849 Abortion ban in Wisconsin.”
When Roe v. Wade was overturned, people in Wisconsin began to flood the care clinics in the surrounding states, especially clinics in Illinois. “Women’s Medical Fund of Wisconsin, which offers financial assistance for abortion procedures and related costs, helped 477 patients from Wisconsin obtain abortions outside that state in the first six months of 2023,” ABC News reported.
The CEO of Planned Parenthood, Tanya Atkinson, reported that within 24 hours of announcing the return of abortion clinics, all of the appointment times had been filled. Along with the resurgence of the clinics came protesters outside of the Planned Parenthood clinics trying to change the minds of those receiving care.
People who want to receive care in Wisconsin must have an ultrasound and counseling before going through with an abortion.