Fraternity Suspended for Hazing

Penn State punishes organization after investigation
Abigail Shimniok graphic

After an investigation that began in August for Penn State’s Delta Theta chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi for hazing, the fraternity will be suspended from campus for the next four years.
Penn State’s Student Accountability and Conflict Response Team gave a news release on Oct. 3 explaining their decision, finalized on Oct. 2 that the fraternity violated the Student Code of Conduct.
The decision was made in Sept., but the fraternity followed with an appeal for the decision which was ultimately never overturned.
“We hold the health and safety of students as our highest priority and take all allegations of hazing seriously. It is disappointing and concerning when, despite the legal obligations and educational efforts, groups violate our expectations,” Interim Vice President for Student Affairs, Andrea Dowhower, said.
With the suspension, the fraternity cannot participate in any campus-related events or hold any fundraisers in the name of their organization.
Hazing is defined by Penn State as “any action or situation that recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student.” Actions and situations include, but are not limited to: violating the law, consuming products that could cause harm to the person, brutality of physical nature and more.
Pennsylvania has strengthened their law against hazing, now named “Timothy Piazza Anti-Hazing Law” following the death of Timothy Piazza, 19, from a hazing incident at Penn State in 2017. Those who participate in hazing could face a third-degree misdemeanor, or for more serious cases, could be punishable up to a third-degree felony charge.
Piazza had consumed too much alcohol when participating in a hazing event at fraternity Beta Theta Pi on Feb. 3, 2017. Upon further investigation, he had fallen down some stairs and suffered “a lacerated spleen, an abdomen full of blood and multiple traumatic brain injuries,” The Atlantic reported.
The fraternity members waited 12 hours before calling emergency services. Piazza died the next morning at Hershey Medical Center.
According to Spotlight PA, “The university enacted more than a dozen changes to its oversight and compliance rules for Greek life after 19-year-old Timothy Piazza died at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity on campus.”
Kappa Alpha Psi will be suspended until 2027.