Security Risk in Wisconsin Capitol

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Joshua Pleasnick, 43, was arrested on Oct. 4 after bringing two loaded guns into the Madison Capitol building and demanding to see Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers.
Pleasnick entered the Capitol Building shirtless, with a handgun and his dog on a leash. He had demanded to see the governor at the security desk just before 2 p.m., according to a Wisconsin State Capitol police visitor alert obtained by CNN from a state senator’s office.
Capitol police informed Pleasnick that he was not allowed to open carry in the capitol and that he needed to leave the premises. Pleasnick told them he “would not comply with that order.”
While concealed weapons are allowed in the Capitol Building, firearms cannot be openly carried. An Evers administration spokesperson said the man’s handgun was in a holster and clearly visible.
Pleasnick was taken into custody at the Dane County Jail and stated while being interviewed by police that he would “continue coming to the Capitol until he spoke to the governor about domestic abuse towards men.”
His dog was taken to an animal shelter in Madison.
After being booked, Pleasnick posted his own bail and was released. At around 8 p.m. that same night, he returned to the Capitol carrying a loaded automatic rifle and a collapsible police baton in his backpack. He made the same demand to speak with Evers.
Both the Capitol and Dane County police took Pleasnick to a hospital where he has since been placed in protective custody.
In an interview the following day, Evers declined to comment on what security changes may be enacted for him or the Capitol building. “I never, ever talk about what my security detail does or what they’re planning on doing,” Evers said. “But anytime something like this happens, obviously they reevaluate.”
Formal charges have yet to be brought against Pleasnick.