Whitewater Kidnapping Suspect Arrested

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez, 18, was taken into police custody after a brief foot chase at about 11 a.m. Oct. 16, 2023, after allegedly holding a Whitewater woman captive for several days. Guzman Rodriguez and the unidentified victim were allegedly acquaintances.
Officers responded to a call on Oct 15, after receiving a report about a woman needed assistance at 363 S. Janesville Street. The caller has not been identified to the public.
Guzman Rodriguez had allegedly made comments to the victim about his willingness to harm law enforcement. Officers set a perimeter around the residence and garage. The Walworth County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team and Beloit Police Department SWAT team responded to help search the property.
Guzman Rodriguez is believed to have fled from the home when officers arrived. Authorities additionally searched surrounding houses for Guzman Rodriguez.
Whitewater Police Chief Dan Meyer said Guzman Rodriguez allegedly resisted arrest, and police used a taser on him to end the chase.
Lincoln Elementary was placed on a hold lock after Whitewater Unified School District staff were notified of Guzman Rodriquez approaching the school.
The police department’s statement added that police have reached out to both the Whitewater Unified School District and Whitewater about precautions. The university sent a notification to students and staff with a copy of the release, asking them to be vigilant and call 911 if they noted anything suspicious.
Whitewater authorities originally believed that the female victim had not been hurt in the incident but later found out that she had been battered and strangled to the point of unconsciousness over the several days she was held hostage.
Guzman Rodriguez is being held in Walworth County Jail on pending charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment, first-degree reckless endangerment, battery, strangulation, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to a Whitewater Police Department press release.