Declining Enrollment Causes Branch Closures

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Jay Rothman, the President of the University of Wisconsin System, stated in a press release that “our universities are undergoing some trying times,” and “we are closing the UW-Platteville Richland two-year campus and ending in-person instruction at UW-Milwaukee at Washington County and UW-Oshkosh at Fond du Lac.”
In Fall 2022, the Richland campus had a total of sixty students, and the anticipated combined enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year across both Washington County and Fond du Lac campuses is projected to be under 300 students. UW-Milwaukee Washington County saw a decline in student numbers, falling from 998 in Fall 2012 to 332 by Fall 2022. UW-Oshkosh Fond du Lac experienced a decrease in enrollment as well, dropping from 692 to 258 during that same period.
“The purpose of these actions is to align our branch campuses to current market realities and to prepare for the future,” Rothman said. Less students are going for two-year degrees, thus enrollment at the two-year branches is declining rapidly.
UW branch campuses are not the only facilities to experience hardships. The UW system’s total enrollment dropped by 1,550 students. When UW-Madison is not included in this statistic, that number grows to 3,727.
Last spring, state legislators cut $32 million of the UW-System’s budget over Diversity, Equity and Inclusion staffing and programming. As a result, the UW System may have to consider closing other campuses or programs.
UW-Oshkosh announced the elimination of more than 250 positions as a part of their strategy to cut down on their $18 million budget deficit.
The United Faculty and Staff of UW-Oshkosh issued a statement expressing their concern for the layoffs, “These losses seriously impact crucial units at our university and will make it difficult for us to offer the same programs and services we provided in the past. Those of us who remain will be asked to pick up the slack, and although we remain committed to providing a high-quality educational experience, we fear we will not be able to serve our students as well moving forward.”
The communities affected by the branch closures may receive state assistance to repurpose the university facilities. If the GOP’s bill is passed, Richland County could receive up to $2 million. Senator Howard Marklein (R) of Spring Green stated, “the community has rallied, and they have been working hard to move forward with new ideas and initiatives to use the property in innovative ways.”