UW-Platteville to Eliminate 111 Positions

Abigail Shimniok graphic

UW-Platteville announced on Wednesday, Oct. 25 that it will be removing 111 positions, with 60 employees being laid off or having non-renewed contracts, 32 agreeing to a voluntary separation agreement, 11 faculty are retiring and 31 currently open positions will be cut.

This will decrease the workforce of UW- Platteville by 12%. The layoffs come as an attempt to reverse the severe structural deficit the University is currently in.

UW-Platteville Chancellor Tammy Evetovich announced in her letter to the campus community that the layoff decisions were informed by data and focused on preserving programs that involve students directly. When talking about the impact of the layoffs, Evetovich wrote, “I realize these decisions are much more than numbers and budgets. They affect our people.”

The layoffs, as well as other changes, such as increased revenue and enrollment and reductions in spending, have reduced the deficit for the university by $9 million for the 2025 fiscal year. Evetovich stated that UW-Platteville will be submitting a balanced budget for the upcoming year.

UW-Platteville is one of the many UW System schools facing a structural deficit, and the third to resort to shrinking its workforce. UW-Oshkosh eliminated 216 positions this year to help balance their budget, and UW-Parkside has been utilizing furloughs on their employees to try to avoid layoffs.

More information to come as decisions on layoffs become public.