Chinese and Philippine Vessels Collide

Tensions rise further in the South China Sea
Abigail Shimniok graphic

A Philippine coastguard ship and a Chinese maritime militia vessel collided in a highly disputed part of the South China Sea, on Oct. 23. The Philippines blamed the encounter on China, stating that the “dangerous blocking maneuvers endangered the safety of the Filipino crew.” In contrast, China said that the Philippines “deliberately stirred up trouble.”
The Second Thomas Shoal is a submerged reef and a part of the Spratly Islands, which both China and the Philippines claim. The fight over the Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea has been happening for decades.
Territorial disputes have been escalating between the two countries since the naval standoff over the Scarborough Shoal in April 2012.
The Philippines maintains a military presence on the Second Thomas Shoal by stationing a small contingent of troops on a grounded ship, the Sierra Madre. China has previously acted against the Philippines, including the construction of artificial islands and military installations in the South China Sea.
China often allows the Philippines to resupply the Sierra Madre, but they occasionally move to block the supply ships as seen on Oct. 23. This is due to the alignment of Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has with the United States and his strong stance on China’s intrusion into their “Exclusive Economic Zone.”
The Philippines aims to restore the Sierra Madre to assert its authority over the Second Thomas shoal. However, China is determined to prevent the repair of the Sierra Madre, as its sinking could potentially provide China with an opportunity to take control of the reef.
The United States sided with the Philippines as they are allies. The U.S. stated that China’s coast guard had “violated international law by intentionally interfering with the Philippine vessels’ exercise of high seas freedom of navigation.” In response, China said the U.S. “issued a statement in violation of international law, groundlessly attacking and accusing China’s legitimate rights and law enforcement actions.”