Platteville Steel Band and Jazz Combo

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Two bands performed Thursday, Nov. 16 in Brodbeck concert hall. Pioneer Steel Band and Jazz Combo are both UW-Platteville performance ensembles but play vastly different instruments.
Steel drums are the youngest percussion instrument, originating from Trinidad. The instruments are constructed from oil barrels, which are heated and hammered into the drum shape, producing round, vibrant sounds.
Pioneer Steel band, directed by Dr. Peter Naughton, is composed of seven members, who play a variety of steel drums and other percussion instruments. Their performance featured Harry Belafonte’s “Jump in the Line” and Jimmy Buffet’s “Margaritaville,” as well as two more traditional steel drum tunes, “Joy” and “Jamaica Farewell.” The tropical sounding tunes brought some warmth to the cold Nov. weather. “It’s fun to get together and jam once a week,” said a Steel Band performer when asked about their experience.
“I thought it went really well, and I am proud of my students. I was incredibly happy with it.” Dr Naughton, the professor of percussion on the UW-Platteville campus said. Steel band is “becoming more common across college campuses. If anyone is interested in it, they should consider signing up for the class.”
After an intermission, the Pioneer Jazz Combo began their performance. Seven members make up the band, playing saxophone, trombone, bass, guitar and drums. The director accompanied them on the piano.
Jazz Combo played a range of jazz pieces, most notably the trombone ballad, “The Thrill is Gone,” featuring trombone soloist Thomas Liddle, and an arrangement of Celene Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On,” featuring Josh Karstetter playing the tenor saxophone. Austin Cebulske directs the band.
Cebulske, the professor of saxophone, stated, “Jazz combo is the term for anything smaller than a big band. Basically, a small jazz group. It is for people who are the most interested in improvisation; this is where you get the most opportunity for that.”
The combo concert was a unique and special look into non-traditional performances. Both bands displayed the range and talent of UW-Platteville students.