Respiratory Illness Affecting Dogs in the US

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Several states in the U.S. have reported a mysterious, potentially fatal respiratory disease in dogs. These states include, but are not limited to, Oregon, Massachusetts and Colorado.
The illness first presents itself as a cough and can develop into severe pneumonia; symptoms are similar to kennel cough. Dogs may experience coughing, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. However, dogs are testing negative for all common respiratory diseases, including kennel cough.
Veterinarians have seen several deaths of infected dogs, especially those who are older or those with health issues.
Dr. Lindsey Ganzer, a veterinarian and chief executive at North Springs Veterinary Referral Center in Colorado Springs, said that she has treated about 35 dogs with the illness since late Oct. Four of these dogs either died or had to be euthanized due to respiratory distress.
The Oregon Department of Agriculture has reported more than 200 cases of this mystery illness within the state. The number of dogs who have died is unknown.
A press release from the Oregon DOA stated that the disease can present in three ways: a mild to moderate cough for six to eight weeks or longer that either does not respond to antibiotics or only responds a little, chronic pneumonia that does not respond to antibiotics or severe pneumonia that “often leads to poor outcomes in as little as 24 to 36 hours.”
The infected dogs all had been in close contact with other dogs. Places like dog parks, boarding kennels or groomers can increase the risk of contracting the illness.
Ganzer said there is potential for a rise in coughing among dogs during the winter holidays due to increased boarding as owners go on vacation. “We’re really hoping just with getting the word out there that people are less inclined to do that,” she continued. “The veterinary community as a whole is kind of scared.”
Veterinarians recommend dog owners keep their dogs up to date on their vaccinations, especially Bordetella and Canine Influenza. Contact with other dogs should be limited where possible, and owners should bring their dogs to the vet if symptoms appear.