Ex Police Officer Stabbed in Prison

Abigail Shimniok graphic

Derek Chauvin, 47, a former Minnesota police officer, was stabbed 22 times in a federal prison in Tucson, AZ, on Nov. 24, by another inmate.
The former officer had survived the attacks with an object shaped into a knife. The attack was reported to be retribution for the killing of George Floyd.
The attacker is John Turscak, 52, who is serving a 30-year sentence for crimes that he committed while being the informant for a mafia bust in 1999. “He was recruited as part of a 1999 case that eventually brought down charges against members of the Mexican Mafia, a gang that he admitted he had joined in 1990, according to court documents.” CBS stated.
According to New York Times, “Turscak said the date of stabbing, the day after Thanksgiving known as Black Friday, was ‘symbolic with the Black Lives Matter movement and the ‘Black Hand’ symbol associated with the Mexican Mafia criminal organization, according to charging documents.”
Tursack currently has attempted murder charges against him for the assault.
Chauvin had been charged with violating the Fourth Amendment, which is the use of excessive force from a police officer. The past police officer had placed his knee on George Floyd’s neck to “detain” him but ended up murdering by asphyxiation.
Floyd was arrested for using counterfeit money at a store on May 25, 2020. Multiple videos were taken of the officers taking Floyd down to the ground. The New York Times states that the Minneapolis police department had fired all officers involved in the murder the next day. Four days later, Chauvin was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
Chauvin has been reported to be in the hospital for the stabbing and in stable condition.