Rosalynn Carter Passes Away at 96

Image courtesy of Vanity Fair

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter passed away at 96 years old on Nov. 19 at her home in Cross Plains, GA.
She died of natural causes with family by her side. She had entered home hospice care earlier this month after being diagnosed with dementia in May.
Her husband, former President Jimmy Carter, said in a statement, “Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished. She gave me wise guidance and encouragement when I needed it. As long as Rosalynn was in the world, I always knew somebody loved and supported me.”
Mr. Carter, 99, has been receiving home hospice care since Feb. He did not give any remarks at the services due to his declining physical health. Carter’s grandson, Jason Carter, stated, “He really can’t do that, physically. I would say that he is coming to the end of his life and so the family has no expectations for how long he will be able to stay.”
Mr. Carter attended memorial services for his wife among several other American political leaders and their spouses, including Joe and Jill Biden, Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Melania Trump, Michelle Obama and Laura Bush.
Services honoring the former first lady commenced on Nov. 26 with a wreath-laying ceremony at the Rosalynn Carter Health and Human Sciences Complex, located at Georgia Southwestern State University, where she attended college. All four of the Carters’ children were present at the event.
On Nov. 26, the motorcade carrying her casket left the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum, where she was laid to rest on the evening of Nov. 27. After a brief journey, it reached Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church at Emory University, where the service took place.
Her legacy endures through her commitment to advancing mental health awareness, caregiving and women’s rights. Carter’s impactful dedication and influence on these issues remain a testament to her enduring spirit and irreplaceable contributions to society.
Mrs. Carter dedicated herself to advocating for improved care for individuals dealing with mental illnesses. During her tenure as Georgia’s first lady, she played a role in transitioning treatment methods to community mental health centers. While at the White House, she collaborated with her husband to establish a presidential commission focused on mental health.
The Carters worked together to reshape the post-presidential landscape, committing decades to world peace and human rights through their nonprofit organization, “The Carter Center,” which they established. Their joint efforts took them to global hotspots like Cuba, Sudan and North Korea, where they oversaw elections and lead initiatives to combat diseases such as Guinea Worm Disease and other tropical illnesses.
Rosalynn Carter also invested her time in “The Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregivers,” a foundation she founded at Georgia Southwestern State University, to support the unique needs of caregivers those who selflessly cared for family and friends.