New Cyberlab in Sesquicentennial Hall

Image courtesy of UW-Platteville

The grand opening of UW-Platteville’s highly innovated Cyberlab located in Busby Engineering Hall room 207, was held on Jan. 25. The goal of the space is to “attract, recruit and train top cybersecurity talent.” according to UW Platteville news.
Cybersecurity is a rapidly growing field. It is projected to grow from $172.32 billion in 2023 to $424.97 billion by 2030, according to Fortune Business Insights.
UW-Platteville’s Cyberlab will help students navigate the evolving world of cybersecurity by equipping them with the latest technology.
Many alumni donors generously contributed to making the Cyberlab a reality, including Ron and Eileen Meissen with a $50,000 donation. Ron Meissen is a large supporter of the cybersecurity program.
“This will be a great learning environment for the students and a fantastic place to bring prospective students and their parents. I think this is just one example of alumni and the university working together to make a real positive impact on the learning environment for students,” Meissen stated.
The Meissen family and other donators also created the CSSE Endowed Scholarship fund in hopes of attracting and retaining more cybersecurity and computer science students.
Dr. Douglas Selent, an assistant Computer Science and Software Engineering professor at UW-Platteville, described some of the many features of the lab that will benefit Cybersecurity students.
Selent stated the dual-motion tracking cameras and in-ceiling microphones are great for supporting a multi-modal classroom. The dual projectors and large whiteboard space make it possible to use the whiteboard and present at the same time, boosting learning and efficiency. The Cyberlab also has three T.V. monitors that can manipulate images.