Trump Removed from Colorado Ballot

U.S. Supreme Court likely to decide whether Trump can run for U.S. President again
Abigail Shimniok

Former President Donald Trump was declared ineligible for the White House by the Colorado Supreme Court under the U.S. Constitution’s insurrection clause. Trump was removed from the state’s presidential primary ballot.
The Supreme Court will most likely have the final decision as to whether the front-runner for the GOP nomination can remain in the race.
The decision from the Colorado Supreme Court marks the first time in U.S. history that Section Three of the 14th amendment has been used to disqualify a potential presidential candidate.
The third section of the 14th amendment bans those who “engaged in insurrection” against the United States from holding any civil, military, or elected office without the approval of two-thirds of the House and Senate.
“We do not reach these conclusions lightly,” wrote the Colorado court’s 4-3 majority. “We are mindful of the magnitude and weight of the questions now before us. We are likewise mindful of our solemn duty to apply the law, without fear or favor, and without being swayed by public reaction to the decisions that the law mandates we reach.”
Trump’s legal spokeswoman, Alina Habba, released a statement following the Colorado’s Supreme Court ruling where she claimed, “This ruling, issued by the Colorado Supreme Court, attacks the very heart of this nation’s democracy. It will not stand, and we trust that the Supreme Court will reverse this unconstitutional order.”
Trump lost Colorado in his 2020 presidential run by 13 percentage points, and he does not need the state to win the upcoming 2024 election, however, the former president has expressed concern over more states following Colorado’s lead and removing him from the ballot.
Trump has additionally been removed from Maine’s state ballot following the Colorado ruling.
Other states, including Michigan and California, have ruled Trump can stay on the presidential ballot.