Kansas City Parade Shooting

Abigail Shimniok

A mass shooting erupted in Kansas City, MO on Feb. 14 during a Chiefs’ victory parade following the team winning the Super Bowl. The shooting has left one woman, Lisa Lopez-Galavan, dead, 24 others injured by gunfire and at least 18 others injured due to the stampede that followed the shooting. Roughly half of those injured during the shooting are under the age of 16.
The shooting is believed to have occurred following an incident where two armed men, Lyndell Mays, 23, and Dominic Miller, 18, in the crowd began arguing about “why they were staring at each other” according to documents that police handed over to prosecutors.
Mays and Miller have been taken into custody and are currently facing charges of second-degree murder. The two men additionally both face two counts of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon. Their bond has been set at $1 million each.
An affidavit was released to the public that detailed Mays and Miller are the fourth and fifth suspects to be arrested in relation to the Kansas City, MO shooting, with two others being juveniles and one being a man from Wichita, KS.
Both Miller and Mays were injured by gunfire in the shooting and were found wounded. A black Taurus G3 9mm handgun was found near Miller while a Glock 9mm handgun was found near Mays, according to the affidavit.
Miller and Mays both initially denied their involvement in the shooting, but after being confronted with surveillance video footage, they changed their story and admitted to their connection in the tragedy, but both believed they did not hit anyone.
During Lopez-Galavan’s autopsy, the bullet recovered was confirmed to have been fired from Miller’s gun.
No official court date has been set for Miller, Mays or the others arrested in relation to the shooting.