New Bill Requires Guaranteed Admission for Top Students

Abigail Shimniok

Gov. Tony Evers signed into effect on Feb. 20 that all UW schools must guarantee admission to the top 10% of high school students from each graduating class. UW-Madison must admit the top 5%.
The new law was enacted when state legislatures cut Diversity, Equity and Inclusion positions, and by requiring the top students to be admitted, more money was given to the campuses for staff salaries and other projects in lieu of the DEI cuts.
“Our UW System is a critical partner in this work as a major economic driver and a critical resource for building our state’s next-generation workforce by helping train and retain the talented students we already have here in Wisconsin,” Evers said. There are currently over 600 high schools in Wisconsin, with more than 65,000 projected high school graduates this year.
According to U.S. News, the legislature’s motive behind this deal was to encourage the students that finished the top of their class to stay in state for college. The UW System reported that approximately 90% of those who graduate from a UW school stay in Wisconsin for five years post-graduation.
The UW System has seen a decline in enrollment across all universities. Between 2012 and 2022 there has been a 12.6% decline, according to Washington County Daily News, though some UW System universities have seen a bigger decline.
In a press release, Evers said, “I’m glad to be signing this important legislation that will help address our state’s generational workforce challenges by ensuring greater access and opportunities for our kids to go to school, start their careers, and build their futures in Wisconsin.”