Two Killed in Colorado Dorm Room

Abigail Shimniok

A student at the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs was placed under arrest after allegedly killing his roommate, Samuel Knopp, 24, and a young woman, Celie Rain Montgomery, 26, in a dorm room.
Nicholas Jordan, 25, is being charged with two counts of first-degree murder after police arrived at his dorm at the university’s Colorado Springs Campus at around 6 a.m. on Feb. 16 after gunshots were reported by Jordan’s other roommate.
The roommate told police he and Knopp repeatedly reported Jordan to the university for smoking in the dorm and for “unsafe living conditions.” The roommate additionally mentioned that Jordan threatened to kill Knopp in Jan. after Knopp asked Jordan to take out the garbage.
Surveillance video from the dorm’s cameras showed “a person in dark clothing” running out of the building a few minutes before officers arrived. The shooting put the entire campus on lockdown for several hours over concerns of an active shooter.
Jordan was found three miles away from campus and was arrested two days after the shooting. He was originally booked on a $1 million bond, however Judge Shannon Gerhart, who is overlooking this case, raised the bond to $5 million after evidence suggested Jordan was a flight risk and was arrested while in possession of a firearm.
Judge Gerhart also implied in her ruling that she believed Jordan posed a threat to witnesses and other students at the university. A status conference to discuss how this case will proceed to trial has been scheduled for March 15.
Jordan’s sister, Dominque Jordan, released a statement following her brother’s arrest claiming her brother had never mentioned any issues with his roommate. “This would not even be something that we would think would happen,” she stated, adding that Jordan “literally lived to go to school.”
The University of Colorado-Colorado Springs told police Jordan filed a request to withdraw from all his classes and housing at the university less than 24 hours before the shooting, according to the affidavit.