Tuition Increase Approved

Abigail Shimniok

Board of Regents passed the tuition increase proposal and other proposals on Thursday April 4 during a meeting held in Ullsvik Hall.
As discussed in the previous issue of the Exponent from April 4, “Universities of Wisconsin president Jay Rothman announced on March 28, a proposal to increase all UW campuses tuition by 3.75% for the 2024-2025 academic year.” Segregated fees will also increase on average by $74 per year.
According to U.S. News, the increases including all fees, not just tuition, the cost of schooling will go up approximately 4.4% at all UW campuses. This last year was the first time the UW system has increased the tuition, which was by 5% after being in a tuition freeze for the past 10 years.
As stated in the presentation given by Rothman with the tuition increase is the new differentials for major specific programs. Computer Science will see a new differential of $1453 with a projected 62 students being affected; cybersecurity new differential will be $1453 with a projected 62 students being affected; newly added differential for industrial studies will be $1453 with a projected 172 students being affected.
Room and board was increased as well at certain campuses, but there will be no increase to UW-Platteville. In total, UW-Platteville’s tuition will have a 2% increase to the total tuition and segregated fees.
“We see this as a really important way to start making progress towards our compensation issues that we’re seeing. And obviously, a helpful tool in both recruitment and retention moving forward,” vice president for finance and administration with UW Sean Nelson said to the Wisconsin Public Radio.
Among the tuition increase, it was decided that the chancellors salary will raise by 6%, which was decided during the board of regents meeting. According to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “Like all UW System employees, UW chancellors are receiving 4% raises backdated to last July … In addition UW System President Jay Rothman and chancellors will receive a 2% pay bump at the end of the June.”
Rothman’s salary has increased to $583,440, UW-Madison chancellor, Jennifer Mnookin’s salary has increased to $811,512.
As stated by the press release from UW, “He (Rothman) announced the tuition and fee proposal now so that students and parents have adequate time to plan. He also encouraged students to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to see if they are eligible for financial aid,” the UW press release said.