$30 Million Heist

Abigail Shimniok

Nearly $30 million in cash was stolen Easter Sunday from a Los Angeles, CA, warehouse. The Easter robbery is believed to be one of the largest heists in United States history.
The warehouse was owned by GardaWorld, which is a global cash management and security company.
Police were called onto the scene at 4:30 a.m. on Easter Sunday after workers found a large hole located on the side of the building that was bordered up with plywood.
Randy Sutton, a former police detective in Las Vegas, NV, and New Jersey, who investigated major crimes and high-end burglaries, commented on the robbery and contend that a crime of this magnitude could not be done by amateurs. The heist most likely had been planned for months and involved numerous people. “This took a tremendous amount of research and tremendous amount of knowledge on the technical end regarding the circumvention of security systems and surveillance,” he stated.
Sutton went on to note that most of the cash at a facility like the one operated by GardaWorld has already been circulated. This makes most of the money untraceable, unless if it originated from the U.S. Treasury.
Law enforcement investigating the heist have not released many details regarding the crime, but they have noted that such a large quantity of bills would be extremely difficult to transport.
If every bill stolen was a $100 bill the overall total weight would be around 660 pounds.
The GardaWorld theft has reminded the public of the 1972 United Bank robbery which took place in Laguna Niguel, CA, where the thieves similarly entered the building by cutting a hole through the wall and taking off with cash.

View Comments (1)

• J

Jack Dyer | Apr 19, 2024 at 8:38 am

The Easter Bunny did it!!

Reply