The Death of O.J. Simpson

Infamous football player dies at 76
Abigail Shimniok

O.J. Simpson, 76, died of prostate cancer in his Las Vegas, NV home on April 10. His family announced his passing on X, stating, “He was surrounded by his children and grandchildren. During this time of transition, his family asks that you please respect their wishes for privacy and grace.”
Simpson was born on July 9, 1947, in San Francisco, CA. He was a former professional American football player, actor and broadcaster who gained fame both on the football field and in the entertainment industry.
Simpson gained traction as a running back in the NFL, playing for the Buffalo Bills and the San Francisco 49ers during the 1960s and 1970s. He won many awards, including the Heisman Trophy in 1968. The trophy is located in Heritage Hall of the University of Southern California’s campus.
After retiring from football, Simpson pursued a career in acting and broadcasting. He starred in “The Naked Gun” series and also worked as a sports commentator.
In 1994, he was arrested and charged with the murders of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman. The subsequent trial, often referred to as the “Trial of the Century,” captivated the nation and ended with Simpson’s acquittal in 1995, despite substantial evidence against him. He was found liable for their deaths in 1997, however, and was ordered to pay the Brown and Goldman families $33.5 million.
In 2006, he sold a book manuscript titled “If I Did It” along with a potential T.V. interview, where he offered a “hypothetical” narrative of the murders he consistently denied committing. Both projects were terminated due to public outrage. However, the Goldman family obtained the rights to the book, added content suggesting Simpson’s guilt and successfully published it.
Following the trial, Simpson faced civil lawsuits and continued legal troubles, including a conviction in 2008 for armed robbery and kidnapping in Las Vegas, NV. He was sentenced to 33 years in prison but was granted parole in 2017 after serving nine years.
Malcolm LaVergne, a lawyer who represented Simpson, stated that Simpson’s body will be cremated, with no plans to examine his brain despite several requests from neurologists. “On at least one occasion, someone has called saying he’s a CTE guy who studies the brain,” said LaVergne, “That’s a hard no. His entire body, including his brain, will be cremated.”
There are tentative plans for a celebration of life service at a later date which will be limited to O.J. Simpson’s close circle of friends and family.