Welcome Back from the Editor

Bianca Zens photo

Dear Readers,
Welcome back to campus! I hope everyone survived the crazy heat waves and other unpredictable weather patterns that this summer has thrown at us. As for the Executive board and myself, we are excited to be back in the office to write for you and our community!
We do have some announcements to share with you all to get up to speed to what is happening to our beloved newspaper.
First, humanities chair Dr. David Gillota is our new advisor. Gillota has been amazing at the process of getting acquainted to being advisor for us. He is an associate professor of English at UW-Platteville and the editor of “Studies in American Humor” for the Pennsylvania State University Press. We are excited to work closer with him as we navigate this school year.
Our intern for this semester is Nicole Young, a major in Professional Writing. She has been a great addition to the paper and we cannot wait to work more with her.
Be on the lookout around Halloween for another insert of the Antagonist, officially published on campus on Nov. 2! Our staff and community loves being able to poke fun and create a little comedy to share to campus. Stay tuned!
Another community favorite, the Raven, is making a comeback on Dec. 7 so all our friends and UW-Platteville students can de-stress before finals. We are opening the submission period for all students on campus to submit their poetry, short stories, graphics, photography, 3D works etc. on Nov. 14 and closing the period on Nov. 28. Any other submissions after the closing date may be considered for publication. See you then!
We are accepting applications for those interested in the paid Business Manager position. Those interested would be working closely with businesses in the community to make connections with them. If this is something you see yourself doing, come to our meetings located in 428 Warner Hall, Mondays at 6 p.m.
Thank you, Dr. Gillota, for being our advisor this year and having our backs when we really needed it most. We all look forward to working with you this year.
Thank you, Sara Koeller, for being the person behind the scenes ensuring our organization is still afloat. Sara handles the business side of things and is truly needed to make sure the Exponent is operational.
Thank you, Woodward Printing, for being amazing with our paper and being flexible with us each week. Woodward Printing prints every issue of our paper and their staff even has some Exponent alumni.

Lastly, thank you to our readers! We would not be here without you. Every complement we get from our email inbox, social media or even just on campus motivates us to create more content each week.
The Exponent cannot wait to write for you all this year!

Sincerely,
Natalie Downie
Editor-in-Chief