Opinion: Do Cartoons Need Morals?

In recent decades, the animation industry has been on an impressive incline, constantly pushing the boundaries of visual presentation, unique storytelling and emotional resonance. However, alongside this incline has come a significant pushback against “low-quality” cartoons—content that lacks a clear, distinct lesson for kids to learn.
There is an expectation that all media must “have a point,” and with children’s cartoons, this standard is more intensely vouched for. Cartoons are praised when they present deep, resonant characters, complex storylines and intelligent dialogue that wraps up each episode and gives the viewers life advice to carry forward. However, cartoons are rarely ever praised for simply being fun, crazy or silly.
Children take in everything around them and are highly impressionable during their younger years, so it is crucial that the media they watch carries some level of value. However, kids do not need to be taught the ways of the universe at age six.
A cartoon that teaches the importance of sharing or friendship won’t cause any harm, but not every single show that kids watch needs to constantly reinforce these lessons or morals. Used in conjunction with lessons learned outside of television or digital media and the material in educational series, it’s perfectly fine for a kid to simply lay back and enjoy a story that’s easy to digest.
Cartoons cover a massive age range, and some material is just not meant for certain ages. It’s easy to see why series aimed at older audiences are praised for being deep and impactful, but why must all cartoons for every age be judged on the same basis?
Much like an adult watching a terrible movie after a long workday, it is perfectly fine, in moderation, for a kid to kick back and simply enjoy a few silly characters going on silly adventures. They do not have to learn some deeply rooted facet of personality or behavior upon every twist and turn.