Chancellor Meets with Students to Discuss Deficit

As readers of the Exponent are aware, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is in a $9.7 million budget deficit for the 2024 fiscal year.
Chancellor Tammy Evetovich, Chief Data Officer John Dunning and Interim-Provost Wayne Weber gave a presentation to the Student Senate on Monday, October 2.
The presentation can be viewed on the Budget Office’s SharePoint. It includes the University’s current plan for a remedy to the deficit.
After the presentation, they answered questions from members of the Student Senate. The Meeting Minutes can be found on the PioneerLink Student Senate page.
Chancellor Evetovich said the campus will not be able to grow out of the deficit by getting more students because the number of high schoolers going into higher education has been declining. Instead, UW-Platteville is focusing on student retainage rates.
Another problem discussed was the historically low level of state funding the university receives. UW-Platteville currently gets 18% of its funding from the state.
According to the university’s budget presentations accessible on SharePoint, the state funded 40% of UW-Platteville’s Budget in 2001-2002. It decreased to 17% just 10 years later in 2012.
This highlights that UW-Platteville is not unique with its budget deficit. In fact, 10 of the 13 UW System schools are in a budget deficit.
If you want to join these conversations, the Student Senate welcomes you to come to the open meetings held every Monday in the University Rooms in the Markee Pioneer Student Center from 5-7 p.m. If you want to be more involved, apply to be a Senator on the Student Senate’s PioneerLink.