Wingra Woodwind Quintet puts on world class recital at UWP

The Wingra Woodwind Quintet played a selection of classical pieces including Greek, French, Spanish and Rumanian songs in the Nohr Art Gallery on Sept. 30.

The Wingra Woodwind Quintet was founded in 1965 and is an ensemble-in-residence at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. They have been featured at many national conferences including Kansas City and Miami. Aside from touring regularly around Wisconsin, they have performed at Cornell University, Northwestern University and Carnegie Hall.

At their concert in Carnegie Hall, the quintet was reviewed by New York Times critic Peter Davis, who said that “the performances were consistently sophisticated, sensitive and thoroughly vital.” The quintet has recorded for Golden Crest, Spectrum and the School of Music recording series. They have also released an educational video called Developing Woodwind Ensembles.

Jenny McLean, a sophomore instrumental music education major went to the concert because she thought it was a good opportunity to see a classical woodwind group play. “My favorite piece was the Porgy and Bess Suite by Gershwin. It was very diverse and not something I would have expected them to play.”

Kayla Leibfried, communications officer for the Performing Arts Center, was very pleased with the event.

“The turnout for the event was great. We filled the Nohr Gallery and many last minute ticket sales, so I thought the turnout was great,” said Leibfried. “We heard many good things about the event. The audience loved the performance.”

For more information, visit www.music.wisc.edu/wingra-woodwind