Annual car show brings local auto enthusiasts

Despite chilly temperatures, people of all ages made their way out to support the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s Automotive Enthusiasts Club. On Saturday, October 6 the UW-Platteville Automotive Enthusiasts Club held their annual fall Cruise in Car Show at the Platteville Country Kitchen’s parking lot. The car show lasted from 4 to 8 p.m. with awards at 7:30.

Registration and judging fees for vehicle owners was $5, but the event was free to anyone of any age. Any make of vehicle was allowed to be entered, including motorcycles.

The top three winners received trophies; the winners were decided through people’s choice.

“I have participated in the car show before with my truck, but this I decided to opt out,” said Casey Ortemon, senior business administration major.

The event attracted different kinds of automotive fans. There were Jeep Cherokees, Ford Mustangs, Chevy Camaros and various other luxury cars entered in the competition.

University of Dubuque junior education major Courtney Houghton attended the show with her father.

“It was a good father-daughter day,” said Houghton. “My father has tried to educate me about cars for years now and the show has helped him explain things to me.”

At the Cruise in Car Show the Automotive Enthusiasts Club sold food to help with their fundraising. “It is always enjoyable to support a good cause,” said Matt Morris a foreman at Affordable Parking Lot Services. “I have grown up around racing and cars so I always enjoy attending car shows, especially looking at the older Camaros.”

The Automotive Enthusiasts Club meets on Thursday nights at 5:30 p.m. in Engineering Hall. They also update their PioneerLink page with upcoming events.

Until then, automobile enthusiasts have a whole year to get trucks, cars and motorcycles ready for the next fall Cruise in Car Show.