Dobson Hall trick-or-treat themes PIXAR

Every year the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s Dobson Hall throws a trick-or-treating night for the Platteville community. This year’s theme was Pixar. There were over 301 children who participated.
For the last 20 years, Dobson Hall has thrown the trick or treat event, according to Michelle Herzberg, resident director of Dobson Hall.
Funding for the event is provided by the Resident Hall Association and the Residence Life Funding Committee. Since the admission is free, their job is basically to fund the whole program for decorations and candy so the Platteville community has a good experience.
“Residents of Dobson Hall enjoy this event,” Herzberg said. “It gives the students the ability to reach out to the community and show them we are here and want to learn more.”
There are different jobs that the residents of Dobson Hall can do during this event. They had the opportunity to be a greeter, a tour guide or hand out the candy to the kids. There were also students who played games and color with kids who were waiting for a tour.
Sophomore Zack Trower was one of the volunteers who helped entertain the kids at the event; he played mini golf and the ring toss.
“I like interacting with the community and getting to know them better,” Trower said.
A greeter checked the families in and gave them candy at the beginning and then directed them to the basement to start the tour. Costumes were wide in variety that evening; some included Spiderman, Batman, fairies and witches.
Another job was judging the best floor decorations. Tyler Fisher, senior business management major, was one of the judges.
“We judge who has the best decorated theme and also who has the most school spirit,” Fisher said.
Every year Dobson Hall does a different theme that the RHA and RLFC decide. Since this year’s theme was Pixar, 11 different movies were showcased on the different wings of the building. Tour guides brought the children through each wing and with themes including “Dispicable Me,” “Scooby Doo,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “Tron.”
Sydney Denstorff, a junior was one of the tour guides.
“I love trick-or-treat, and I want to be a part of it again,” Denstorff said.
“This is an awesome way for Dobson to connect with the community,” said Brian Rivers, a sophomore and previous resident assistant in Dobson.