Standout Student: Casey Carignan

A three year undergraduate career, a 3.0 grade point average and national scholarship award winner are a few important things that describe University of Wisconsin-Platteville student Casey Carignan. Carignan is a senior double-major in communication technologies with an emphasis in public relations and business administration emphasis in sales and marketing from Baraboo, who won two national scholarships within the last month.
“I think she is driven to succeed. Her high energy has her committed to pushing herself to achieve a high standard,” Dr. Mary Rose Williams, Chair of the Department of Media Studies said. “She goes after what she wants and I am looking forward to see where she goes with that energy.”
College students across the nation applied for the Chairman’s Scholarship with the Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA), and after meeting the strenuous requirements, Carignan was one of two who received the award. The Chairman’s Scholarship will allow Carignan attend the PCMA Convening Leaders conference in Orlando, Fla., in January. The scholarship includes monetary funds for travel, housing, registration and a $2,500 tuition award. It will pay for her registration and housing for the trip.
She will have the chance to meet the Chairman of the Board and attend the Chairman’s reception. Carignan plans to ask the Chairman the largest obstacle he has encountered up to this point. She hopes this will give her some perspective into what she may face in the future. The conference hosts over 4,000 individuals with nearly 300 college students in attendance. New technology, innovations and PR industry advancements will be featured for those in attendance to learn about.
The second scholarship Carignan was awarded is for her to attend the Council for Advancement and Support of Education District Five conference in Chicago, Ill., in December. Carignan is the only undergraduate student to receive the award.
Carignan’s accomplishments are not just strokes of luck, but rather direct results of her hard work and determination to succeed. At UW-Platteville, Carignan’s positions include President of the Public Relations Organization, Vice President of Finance with the American Marketers Association and Student Ambassador. She also works as a Pioneer Development Officer and Call Center Supervisor with the Foundation at UW-Platteville.
Carignan is a three-year senior, graduating in May 2013 and said she hopes to get a full-time job that she loves.
“I wouldn’t be here without my professors’ influences,” said Carignan. “Their encouragement is what got me to apply for these scholarships.”
Carignan started out at UW-Platteville as an industrial engineering student, and after one year switched to her current double major. Completing these two majors in just two years was no easy feat, but she has had a long background in public relations and that is where she felt more herself.
“I love talking with people and hearing their stories,” said Carignan. “I love promoting positive things, especially here on campus.”
Carignan offered advice to future public relations students by saying, “If you don’t know, ask. If you never ask, you never know.”