Rainbow Rave dressed to impress

On Nov. 17, the Alliance hosted its annual Rainbow Rave drag show for the University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus.
As night approached, Velzy Commons in Ullsvik Hall became packed with anxious people waiting for the performance to begin.  The hostess, Kyra Vitale, came out with lots of energy and got the crowd laughing.  The queens came out with some new costumes and dance routines as well as the Milwaukee Kings.
The amateurs this year were the talk of the night because there was a bigger turn out than in previous years.  Carlos Torres, an executive board member for the Alliance, was one of the amateurs this year.
“For me, performing at the drag show it was an amazing time,” Torres said.  “I was a little nervous at the beginning, but after feeling the music and the people yelling more and more excited and at some point when you just want to keep dancing, but you realize the song is almost over, it’s the point to hit it harder.”
The amateurs have set the bar for others to reach in the future.  Overall the show was a big success with a big audience and lots of performers to entertain.
“This was the second drag show I’ve ever been to, and it was a lot of fun,” Sarah Kessler, communication technologies major, said.  “I was apprehensive last year but had a blast so I knew that I had to go again this year.  I was glad I was able to support The Alliance, and I think everyone should go at least once.  It can change your life.”
Good things were said about the event and the amount of energy it produced while getting the audience actively involved in both the performances and getting up to dance and have a fun time.
“In the past years, it is easy to notice how big this event is getting, and we hope the number increases more and more,” Laura Firgau, Alliance president, said.  “The drag show is a great place to share our true colors in a safe place with the people in our campus.  I feel it’s the moment where people leave labels aside and focus on having fun.”
The Alliance hosts many events and promotes awareness throughout the school year such as LGBT Month, National Coming Out Day, Pride Week and Day of Silence.  More information about the Alliance including upcoming events and participation can be found at uwplatt.edu/org/alliance/ or reached by phone at 342.6127.