Telethon raises $62,000

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville raised over $66,000 at its 40th Annual Christmas Telethon in support of Wisconsin Badger Camp on Dec. 1.  This year’s telethon included auctions of items donated from local businesses and corporations, as well as interviews with Badger Camp staff, corporate sponsors and campers.

Badger Camp is an independent nonprofit organization located in southwestern Wisconsin.  It provides an environment where individuals with developmental challenges can learn about their surroundings and expand social skills.  All of the proceeds raised at the telethon went to the WBC Campership Program, which provides financial assistance so that individuals may attend camp regardless of a family’s ability to pay the camp fee.

“The relationship we have with the university is incredible,” Kayla Smith, development and communications director for the Badger Camp, said.  “Their dedication to us for the past 39 years is something we have a hard time even beginning to show appreciation for.  Because of the Christmas Telethon, we will be able to send over 100 campers to camp next summer by raising $62,000.  It is amazing to see so many communities, donors, businesses organizations, staff and students all come together for Wisconsin Badger Camp.”

Megan Schmidt, a junior media studies major with an emphasis in imaging media and a minor in public relations, volunteered her time by working on the character generator in production control.  This was Schmidt’s first year volunteering for the telethon, and she said it was one of the best experiences she has had.  Schmidt said she feels that by having volunteers and the community donate their time and money, they can touch another person’s life by sending them to Badger camp.

“These families look forward to going to WBC every year because this is the one place they can be themselves,” Schmidt said.  “They have loving and caring people who work at Badger camp to make their time at camp the best it could possibly be.  I feel honored to have helped with the Christmas Telethon to send all of these amazing people to Wisconsin Badger Camp.”

Ryan Zoellick, senior media studies major with an audio and video emphasis, was the talent host this year.  Zoellick introduced the performers and encouraged people to call in to bid and make a pledge.  Zoellick said he chose to volunteer for the WBC telethon because his mom is a care provider for people with developmental disabilities, and Zoellick personally knows how much the campers enjoy attending Wisconsin Badger Camp.

“I also think WBC is important because it’s a time for the care providers like my mom to have a break and relax as well,” said Zoellick.  “I like volunteering for any cause because it gives a person a feeling that you are making a difference in the community and is something that everyone should do.”