Film festival shows Academy Award-winning “A Separation”

Students and faculty gathered at the fifth annual Liberal Arts and Education International Film Festival Monday in Ullsvik Hall’s Nohr Gallery.

The event started with a reception that ran from 4:30-6 p.m., followed by the showing of “A Seperation”—the 2012 Acadamy Award winner for best foreign language film.  The film was shown in Lundeen Lecture Hall in Doudna Hall.

“The international film festival is a fabulous event which broadens student horizons and expresses the need for global perspectives,” LAE Dean Elizabeth Throop.

“A Separation” involves a woman, Simin, who planned to leave Iran and travel abroad with her husband and daughter to pursue a better life.  Since her husband refused to leave because of his ill father, Simin wanted a divorce.  The divorce did not go through, so Simin moved in with her parents while her daughter decided to stay with her father.  As the film unfolded, further conflicts emerged.

“The main conflicts concerning this film involve the battles between self-interest versus collective interest, and religious beliefs versus economic factors,” said Abdol Soofi, University of Wisconsin-Platteville economics professor and speaker for the event.

When the movie concluded, audience members said they were moved by the powerful message it conveyed.

“This was a very gripping, emotional experience,” audience member Alan Moore said.  “I was struck watching this other culture go through these difficult real-life situations because it goes to show, regardless of culture, people are people.”

The 2013 LAE International Film Festival continues through March 18.

“You can only be in so many places in your lifetime, and a great way to look into another culture is through film,” said Laura Beadling, English professor and head of the film festival committee.