“Dirty Wars” shown at UWP

The eye opening documentary film, Dirty Wars, follows investigative reporter Jeremy Scahill as his research challenges preconceived notions about the war on terror and outlines just how the United States is actually handling it.

Amnesty International and Students for Peace and Justice at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville made a collaborative effort in organizing an on-campus viewing session for students and staff.

The film exposes war crimes committed by the most secret fighting organization known as the Joint Special Operations Command, which conducts night raids in not only war zones, but also all around the world.

Dirty Wars begins with Scahill researching a night ride where, on the surface, it seems as though all that happened was that innocent civilians were killed. He ultimately realizes there is more to the story than just bad intelligence and accidental killings. Subsequently, he exposes one of the biggest cover-ups in U.S. history.

Brian Rivers, junior civil engineering major, weighed in on his reaction to the film.

“I think if America as a whole knew what we have done, they would be outraged,” Rivers said.

Following the showing of the film, attendees had the opportunity to ask the director of film, Richard Rowley, any questions they had via Skype.

David Rowley, faculty adviser for Students for Peace and Justice, suggested bringing the movie to UW-Platteville.

Rowley addressed the type of impact that he hopes the film will have on the viewers.

“Things have to change from the bottom up, and the hope is that the more people know about what’s going on, the more they will get involved,” Rowley said.

Melissa Adamski, president of Amnesty International, had a similar take on the film’s impression.

“UW-Platteville isn’t as diverse or aware as they should be, so our goal is to spread the awareness,” Adamski said.