50 years since shooting of UW-P student Kathy Moan

Taylor Egnarski, Student Writer

Upon entering Ullsvik, countless students walk past a bronze plaque with a tribute to Kathy Moan.

Many students who overlook this plaque are unaware of its dedication and honor of Kathy Moan, a University of Wisconsin-Platteville student who was murdered on campus in 1964.

A homecoming queen with dark hair, Kathleen Moan was often seen bustling around campus.

She was featured more than six times in the university’s 1964 yearbook.

In contrast, the man who took her life seemed to be a mirror opposite.

John Treglown was quiet in nature and labeled as a loner by fellow students; Treglown was never pictured in the yearbook.

He struggled in his classes and was forced to drop out of the university in 1964.

Treglown first became aware of Moan during the fall semester of 1963.

Moan was a sophomore at the university, while Treglown was a freshman on academic probation due to his failing grades.

Although they had many differences, Treglown developed an obsession with Moan.

In the beginning, Treglown approached Moan months before the murder occurred and talked to her for the first time.

“She told me about it later; she said he didn’t seem to make sense. Then, he began to follow her around campus. He’d come into the Union and just sit and stare at her. Kathy would say, ‘There he is again,’” Moan’s roommate Gisela Brivman said. “It was odd; everyone could sense something was wrong.”

As the obsession grew, Moan told Treglown that she would rather be left alone, and Brivman mentioned that Moan also refused to go on dates with him on numerous occasions.

Moan’s friends, including her housemother Wilma Brechler, were unaware of the situation with Treglown because Moan refused to patronize him.

As Treglown’s efforts to pursue Moan grew over time, Treglown had told fellow students that he had concocted a “love potion” in order to force Moan to fall in love with him.

Treglown dropped out of school during the second semester of his freshman year; he was certain that he would return to the university as time went on, but he decided to enter the workforce.

Treglown lived with his parents in Platteville throughout this time period, but he was often spotted visiting places that Moan visit multiple times before the incident.

“No one knew why he was here,” Brivman said.

On a Tuesday night, Treglown walked into the student center and located the table where Moan and her friends were conversing.

Treglown pulled a 9-mm German Luger pistol from his pocket and, in front of more than 100 students, fired three shots; he shot Moan twice in the head and once in the chest, and she immediately fell to the ground.

Treglown calmly walked towards the exit of the student center and later quickly ran from the scene.

He was captured shortly after the incident in Lancaster and arraigned on first-degree murder.

Later, Judge Richard Orton found that Treglown was innocent of first-degree murder by reason of insanity.

The court made the ruling shortly after the last of several psychiatrists who observed John and testified that he was acting out a “fantasy” when he shot and killed Moan.

Treglown served his sentence in a mental hospital.

He was released, and he lives in a residential setting in Wisconsin.

The student center has changed much since Moan’s death.

The location of the incident is the criminal justice offices in Ullsvik Hall.