Enrollment increases 5 percent

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is the fastest growing comprehensive university in the UW System.

A record-breaking 8,621 students are enrolled this year, a near 5 percent increase from last year.  Admission and Enrollment Services reached capacity for enrollment on April 27 this year, compared to June 23, 2011.

“It’s about strategic and stable growth,” said Angela Udelhofen, assistant chancellor for admission and enrollment services.

“We want to increase enrollment,” Provost Mittie Den Herder said.

Currently, submitted applications for enrollment are up 6 percent compared to last year at this time.  A total 985 applications for new freshman and 42 applications for transfer students have been submitted so far this semester.  Applications received from minorities are up 45 percent compared to last year at this time.

Kimberly Finkenbinder of Prospective Student Services brings the UW-Platteville experience to high schools in the tri-states.

Finkenbinder’s goal is reaching out to minorities.  She visits schools in Milwaukee, Rockford and Freeport.

“The majority of outreach is through high school,” said Udelhofen.  “We feel getting prospective students to campus is important.”

The current student body consists of 66 percent males and 34 percent females.  Last year, the ratio was 68 percent males and 32 percent females.

The largest number of students at UW-Platteville are male because of the significant number of science and engineering programs, said Joanne Wilson, interim assistant chancellor of student affairs.

Wilson said the Women in Engineering, Mathematics and Science Program and career days for Women in Engineering are means of attracting more females to UW-Platteville.  Alumni who are now high school teachers bring their students to the career day.

“Growth in enrollment is an exciting change for us, but it’s also a challenge,” Den Herder said.

The Academic Affairs office works closely with Udelhofen and the deans of each college to forecast growth potential in each major.  This is done to maintain the staff to student ratio.

Student Services is in place to accommodate for the growth