Buddy program reinstated, seeks volunteers

Grant County Social Services seeks volunteers for a new program to aid disadvantaged local children.

The Big Buddy program matches volunteers looking to make a difference with children in need of a positive role model.  Many of the children come from single-parent homes and are looking for someone to give them the extra attention children need.

Senior Media Specialist Christal Swigart has participated in the Big Buddy program for almost a year and said she feels like she is making a difference.  Swigart often takes her buddy to events on campus and hangs out at her home doing activities like making cookies.

“It is the easiest way to give back to the community,” Swigart said.  “You do not need to spend a lot of money; the kids only want your time and to feel important.”

The volunteering process is simple.  A short questionnaire and a phone interview helps match adults with the child that best suits their personality.  For volunteers interested in pairing with younger children, the program has children in need of buddies from age 5-17.

The Big Buddy Program currently needs Big Buddies to help 100 children.  For more information or to volunteer as a Big Buddy call Grant County Social Services at 608-723-2136.