Main Street Program seeks to revive downtown business

Downtown Platteville attracts residents and students from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville with small shops, unique attractions and a charming historical atmosphere.  A bike store, movie theater, hair salons and places to grab a bite to eat draw people to the pavement on Main Street.  There is more to the downtown area than the local shops, and a non-profit organization which advocates for its improvement.

The Main Street Program is what keeps the business atmosphere in Platteville so vibrant.  Established in July of 1999, the Main Street Program has been working as an independent non-profit organization to assist and preserve the established quality of the area as well as introduce new ideals of business to downtown.  The program is nationally accredited through the National Historic Trust and is separate from the City of Platteville.

One hundred and seventeen businesses are part of the Main Street Program which decides how the buildings themselves are filled and how improvements are made. Executive Director of the Main Street Program Jack Luedtke said that the Program ensures the storefronts are full and inviting to keep businesses running in downtown Platteville.

“Our mission is to help the new businesses and entrepreneurs that want to move into the downtown area,” Luedtke said. “The city does not own any property or business on Main Street.”

Along with collecting new running businesses, the Main Street Program works with grant programs to help improve the look of the businesses in Platteville. Currently, there is a Curb Appeal matching grant available for use. If a business were to improve the front of their buildings, a grant would match the funds the business used to make the repairs.

The city accepted a plan in January of 2011, which allows the Main Street Program to use a strategic plan for redevelopment purposes of current businesses as well as locate viable tenants for empty locations.

Second Street has seen improvements including new sidewalks and recycling bins. Other improvements to 2nd Street include the rebuilding of Chicago’s Best, the building of a new restaurant, Gina’s Bar and Restaurant and soon there will be a new archway distinguishing the 2nd Street district.

Newer business additions that the Main Street Program helped bring in and establish into the downtown area include Jimmy John’s, MVP Sports Cuts, Noodle House, Etc., Miner’s Sports Bistro and Kassie’s Critters.

Kassie Burbach, certified veterinary technician, recently opened Kassie’s Critters pet shop on Main Street next to Jimmy John’s. Burbach offers small animals to buy including guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, fish and more. She also sells pet supplies, treats and tools. She will have a grooming addition with a certified groomer ready for use in late April.

“I am always looking for suggestions for what people would like to have available in the store,” Burbach said. “ I wanted it to be a place that I would like to shop.”

Burbach said that she wanted to run a business on Main Street in Platteville because it was close to campus and people like to look in the stores on Main.

Deshira Zeneli and her husband Tony opened the Miner’s Sports Bistro on the corner of 2nd and Main St. The couple is local to Madison where they own a Subway, but they came here because they heard about the growing campus.

“We thought it was a shame this location was empty,” said Deshira Zeneli. “This town is full of history and originality. We even have pictures of historical Platteville featured in the restaurant.”

The Main Street Program works to improve all aspects of the downtown area, but it has had to deal with some challenges when it comes to the rowdy atmosphere around 2nd Street bar time.

“It has been an issue in Platteville for a long time,” Luedke said. “Whether you see it as a positive or negative is up to individuals. The positive effect of student volunteers to Main Street projects and employment really pushes aside the minority of negative complaints that are stated.”

The Main Street area businesses are beneficial to students in ways other than volunteering, shopping and fun. Many UW-Platteville students are employed at the various businesses as either general employees or as interns. Los Amigo’s Restaurant, Miner’s Sports Bistro, Driftless Market and Momentum Bikes are just a few examples of the different businesses that take on student employment.

“We see the University as being our westward anchor to Main Street and east towards the Mining Museum,” Luedke said. “Our goal is to continually build that relationship.”