Student’s art showcased on campus

Corey Jenny, a senior art major, is creating a sculpture that depicts Platteville’s pioneering history.  It will be displayed on campus, although an exact location has not been selected.  Jenny said he hopes his work will help him get into graduate school for ceramics.
Nicole Gartner
Corey Jenny, a senior art major, is creating a sculpture that depicts Platteville’s pioneering history. It will be displayed on campus, although an exact location has not been selected. Jenny said he hopes his work will help him get into graduate school for ceramics.

Corey Jenny, a senior art major, is creating a sculpture that will be displayed on campus.

The location where Jenny’s statue will be placed has not been decided.

“The statue didn’t have to be as large as it is, but it’s so big it can’t be ignored,” Jenny said.

The sculpture is historically inspired.  Jenny said it shows the symbolic fortitude the pioneers had when settling here and what they experienced.

The artwork not only represents Platteville but also Jenny and his passion for horses and animals.

“I love to draw, and sculptures are like 3-D drawing to me,” Jenny said.  “It’s challenging, and that’s why I like it.”

Once the sculpture is complete, it will be fired twice in the kiln, and then color will be added.

So far, Jenny said he has spent 80 hours on the piece, but he has at least another 80 hours until its completion.

Jenny said he hopes this sculpture will help him get accepted into graduate school for ceramics.

Bruce Howdle, one of Jenny’s art professors, said he tries teaching his students what they can do with their art degree after they graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, whether it is graduate school or other opportunities.

“Creating art for UW-Platteville helps students gain experience and develop their portfolios,” Howdle said.

According to Jenny, many talented people never get noticed because they have limited opportunity for their artwork to be displayed.

Even with limited funding for art programs, UW-Platteville is still able to provide large-scale art work opportunities to students like Jenny, Howdle said.

Student artwork has been displayed on campus in places such as Ullsvik and Rountree Commons.  There will also be student artwork in Bridgeway Commons, the new residence hall.

Howdle said that student artwork in buildings around campus serves the function of taking typical sterile-colored walls and putting life on those walls.  Changing the texture of the campus helps give it a homey feel.

Geri Zauche, the facilities designer for UW-Platteville, said it is important to respect the art and the facilities.  They are not just randomly placing art in spots simply to have art there.

“Not only are we getting fantastic, place-appropriate pieces, but it shows our belief in our very own institution and the level of students we graduate—professional, prepared, experienced,” Zauche said.