URCE provides students opportunity to display and discuss their research

The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors hosted its first campus-wide symposium on Monday, April 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Ullsvik Hall. The event was created as a way for student research to be introduced to the campus and lead to higher student participation. Participating in research should help make students’ education a better experience.

“Programs like this add resume’ experience and add a little edge in a very competitive job market,” Jessica Sprenger Schulenburg, coordinator of the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors, said. “Knowledge gained broadens perspective. It also allows students to interact with experts in their respected fields of study. Expert interaction is available for these students as well as opening up avenues to things that students didn’t know were there and gives them roots to grow.”

The Symposium had 100 different types of projects from various fields. The projects ranged from making Biodegradable Nanospheres used to deliver prescription drugs in the Chemistry field to Photo and Web development in the Media Studies program.

Jeffery Buboltz, Associate Professor of Chemistry, faculty advisor and committee member to the Symposium said he decided to be a part of this program because it allowed him to do research in the lab other than class work.

“This is the good stuff. It allows me to give advice to perspective students that are wishing to become involved in campus activities other then just going to class,” Buboltz said. “No one learns by just watching; it takes interaction, and class work is not always a real world example of this.”

Buboltz said student research and the symposium was a natural extension of his work and allowed him to assist students looking for more experience than simply attending class lectures.

Associate Professor Steve Yunck was the Student Advisor for students involved in Web and Photo Development.

“This is a way for all students to showcase the work they have created and to publish it,” Yunck said. “It also offers students another piece of their work to put into a portfolio. The images they have created using DSLR cameras have allowed them to demonstrate their use of the technical software technique.”

The Chancellor and Provost spoke at the event in hopes that the symposium would continue to grow throughout the years and become invaluable to students and faculty members. The symposium promotes creativity and communication and allows students to make valuable contacts.

For more information on the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors and the Campus Wide Symposium, contact Sprenger Schulenburg at 608-342-1983 or via email at [email protected].