Counselors hold yoga sessions to help students relax

To feel stress-free and relaxed is Peggy Hines’ and Jason Artz’s goal for the participants of their Yoga and Mindfulness sessions.

“We’re giving students another opportunity to learn ways to manage their stress, providing another outlet,” Artz said.

Both Hines and Artz are counselors at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and have recently observed students on campus, finding that students tend to struggle with stress and anxiety the most.

In addition, they have noticed that students who experience elevated stress levels are often ones that have previously been highly active and involved on campus but now just do not have the time.

“Yoga is good for anxiety, stress reduction and depression,” Hines said.

Hines took an interest in yoga after completing a class during college.

Afterwards, she immediately recognized the reduction of her stress levels, which sparked her interest in continuing on with her involvement in yoga.

She has been doing yoga for nearly 25 years and has taken several subsequent yoga classes.

Hines stated that each class is a little different, but in a good way.

Artz started out by learning mindfulness techniques and just last year found himself learning more about meditation.

Also, Artz said that his number-one goal is to teach students how to check-in with themselves and that doing simple breathing exercises can help one focus on the present and calm down.

Hines and Artz encourage students to join them for Yoga and Mindfulness sessions on Thursdays from 4-5 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room in Bridgeway Commons.

Classes will take place up until finals week, and anyone is welcome to join and participate at their own pace.

Classes are split up into nearly three-fourths yoga and one-fourth mindfulness and meditation.