Students present plastics research

Three University of Wisconsin-Platteville students recently presented their research overseas in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on the use of natural materials, such as the complex polymer Lignin as a safer alternative rather than the traditional plastic additives that are used today.

The national conference, held by the Society of Plastics Engineers, was a chance for senior biology major Kevon Tabrizi and senior industrial technology management majors Bryce Blackbourn and Teng Yang to also present their work with Moldex3D: Plastic Injection Molding Simulation Software.

The students researched the plastics in Platteville’s Plastics Processing Research Laboratory over the course of the summer.

The Plastics Lab has state-of-the-art equipment and UW-Platteville’s plastics program, alongside Pennsylvania State University’s program, was named by the Society of Plastics Engineers as one of the best programs of its kind.

Industrial studies professor Majid Tabrizi, who accompanied the students to the conference, said that the main point of the students’ research was to bring education and manufacturing together in order to help the industry and university advance.

“This was the third international conference the students’ research has been accepted at; the other two conferences were in Canada and Salt Lake City, Utah,” Tabrizi said.

As one of the only undergraduate groups at the conference, the students experienced speaking publicly to company CEOs and presidents, while also learning how to engage an audience of more experienced engineers.

In addition, the trip was an opportunity for those involved to experience a different culture and listen to other groups present information about new technology, all while sharing their own research.

“It was a great opportunity to be able to network with people from the industry and show what we were doing in Platteville,” Blackbourn said.