‘Can’t Stop the Serenity’ benefits local non-profit, plans to return next year

Jeremy Cieslewicz

Non-profit groups Equality Now and Family Advocates, Inc., in association with the Avalon Theater, held a “Can’t Stop the Serenity” screening on Sunday, Sept 21.

The Avalon, located on East Main Street in downtown Platteville, screened Serenity and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, written and directed by Joss Whedon, to raise money for support programs.

This is the first year that Platteville has hosted a CSTS event but it has been in the works for several years.

“We spoke of it a few years ago, but it didn’t work out last year,” Avalon General Manager Jeremy Patnaude said.

“The fans of the TV show and movie brought it here,” Dr. Andrew Klann, with CSTS-Platteville, said.

According to Joe Tennies, with CSTS-Platteville, there were 28 presold tickets purchased and more were expected to be purchased at the door.

CSTS is a global effort put on by Equality Now. The idea started in 2006 and in a few months raised an excess of $65,000 for its first year. In the last eight years, CSTS events from around the world have raised nearly a million US dollars through events and sales in over 50 cities from nine countries.

Equality Now will be using 75% of the proceeds to continue its work protecting and promoting social equality around the world. The remaining 25% of proceeds will be given to local organization Family Advocates, Inc., which works to provide services for those dealing with cases of sexual assault, family or partner abuse in southwest Wisconsin.

“[The Avalon Theater] would be willing to host it again next year.” Patnaude said.
“I hope to get it [to Platteville] again, but we are asking for help for next year,” Tennies said.