Coffeehouse hosts opening celebration

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coffeehouse hosts opening celebration

Alan Russell photo

Alan Russell photo

Alan Russell photo

The owners of 2nd and Main hosted a grand opening for their combination coffeehouse, bar, kitchen and ice cream shop September 13. Following the ribbon cutting ceremony, the unique lounge put out several food specials, an ice cream social, a craft beer tasting and hosted a live musician.

The event was marked by the completion of renovations in the building to match the growing trends found in cities, like the craft bar and coffeehouse aesthetic.

These ideas came from owners Stephanie Becker and Michael Osterholz, who have spent the last few years traveling to different cities and spotting trends that work in an effort to bring those ideas into Platteville.

“Platteville has never really had a craft bar, and I really wanted to bring that idea into this town.  I want those fans of craft beers, including those college students that enjoy them, to be able to come to a place where they can talk about it, try it and meet people with those same interests,” Osterholz said.  “We even had to be specially trained to serve this ice cream.”

The coffeehouse and ice cream parlor is set up to be customer friendly, allowing customers to get comfortable and stay for a while.

“We want it to be this place that people can come to grab a cup of coffee before classes, or a spot for students to relax with some beer, coffee or food and get homework done. It’s built to be a relaxing social venue for students,” Becker said.

The kitchen at the venue is open until 9 p.m., while the bar and coffeehouse are open until 12 a.m.  The kitchen hosts a wide variety of food options that will match any and all tastes and cravings.

2nd and Main also has a strong social media presence on sites like Facebook and Twitter and host many events and giveaways that can be found on those sites.

“It’s a great place to relax and study, or grab a coffee, beer and just hang out. We have a lot of events coming up in the next few months, and all of them will be on our Facebook account and website. The biggest thing people should know is it is a very friendly place. Our staff is always willing to chat, and we’re hoping to create a friendly community where everyone can walk in and be comfortable,” bar manager and social media coordinator Austin McCourt said.