Men’s soccer eyeing tournament bid

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s soccer team split its final two games of the season, and is awaiting word if the team qualifies for the NCAA Division III Tournament.

UW-Platteville won the WIAC men’s soccer championship with their win Sunday

The Pioneers went into their Oct. 27 matchup with University of Wisconsin-Superior with hopes of a strong win to solidify their record and shot for a tournament berth, however the Yellowjackets had different ideas.

In a hard-fought, physical game that featured 19 total fouls, the Yellowjackets held off a late UW-Platteville offensive charge to secure a 1-0 victory.

The Yellowjackets scored soon after halftime when Trevor LaRoche took a quick shot to the right of the goal after receiving a pass from his teammate. LaRoche’s shot was just one of two that UW-Superior had on goal in the match.

Seniors Chris Brown and Brandon Chmiel both had four shots in the game, four of the eight on goal.

The Pioneers responded with an 8-0 rout over Finlandia Oct. 28. Finlandia was forced to play shorthanded, only having nine players make the trip to Platteville.

The Pioneers dominated the Lions, scoring seven goals in the first half, two of which from Chmiel.  Six other Pioneers added to the scoring display.

Along with the dominating offense that got off 30 shots, 20 of which on goal, the Pioneer defense did not allow a shot in the game.