Tough tests for UW-P wrestling out of gate

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling team faces a myriad of stout competition in its first week of the season.

Saturday, Nov. 3, the Pioneers traveled to Dubuque for the Loras Open and were faced with opponents from teams like NCAA Division I’s University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Illinois, D-II’s Upper Iowa University, Grand View University, the defending NAIA champions, and two top-ten D-III teams.

The Pioneers struggled except for freshman Cole Ferguson, who placed fourth in his 125-lb bracket.

“We need to be more aggressive and put ourselves in the positions that we want to wrestle from,” Pioneers head coach Chris Walter said.

The Pioneers face another tough test tonight against no. 5 in D-III University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

“They’re a deep team,” Walter said.  “They have solid wrestlers top to bottom.  We want to see our guys keep progressing in their technique and dictate the match more.  If we let them dictate position, it’ll be a long dual.”

The Pioneers will be without junior and team captain Sean Yaros against UW-Whitewater due to a high-ankle sprain, according to Walter.

The team hopes to have Yaros back for their trip to Galesburg, Ill., for the Knox Tournament, which will feature a mix of D-II, D-III and junior college opponents.

“(Knox) will be a different test, but it will be good to see everyone out there in tournament form,” Walter said.

Tonight’s dual against UW-Whitewater begins at 7 p.m. at Bo Ryan Court in Williams Fieldhouse.