Pioneer softball ready to return to diamond

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women’s softball team will open its season on March 2 at the Rhodes College Invitational in Memphis, Tenn.

The team is gearing up to make a return to the WIAC Tournament.  The Pioneers are coming off a 20-19 overall, 9-8 WIAC season in which they advanced to the WIAC Tournament for the first time since 2008.

They ended the 2012 season tied for fourth in the conference and are looking to move up in the standings this year.

“Our goal is to be in the top three,” head coach Lee Negrelli said.  “It’s a tough conference.  We are not going to count anyone out–everyone is tough.”

The Pioneer squad has four seniors returning to the roster.

Pitcher Melissa Anderson, infielders Ashlen Folkers and Colleen Lowe and catcher Molly Rice were keys to the 2012 team posting 20 wins, the most seen by a squad since 2003.  The seniors said they have high expectations for the coming season.

“We want to win the conference and make it to the national tournament,” Anderson said.  “I am looking forward to a great season.”

Excluding the seniors, there are six other returning players, three transfer students and seven freshmen on the relatively young squad.

Direction from the seniors will be key to the Pioneers’ success this year.

“I want to be a leader behind the plate,” Rice said.  “I am excited to get the season started and for the conference tournament.”

The Pioneers will encounter tough competition as they vie for a top spot in the WIAC.  A key match up will be played on April 10 when the team competes against rival University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.  The Warhawks are poised to make a run at the conference title, and the Pioneers recognize the importance of the doubleheader.

“We are excited to play Whitewater,” Anderson said.  “They are good competition and we want to prove ourselves against them.”

The first home game for the Pioneers will be on Tuesday, March 19, against Coe College at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Softball Complex.

On Saturday, April 6, the Pioneers will host the University of Wisconsin-River Falls in their first home conference match up of the season.