Women’s rugby club joins D-II conference

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women’s rugby club has joined a newly-formed conference with nine other teams at the NCAA Division II level.

The team will play between four to seven games from September to the middle of November and another four to seven from March to May.

Courtney Foulker, senior biology major and rugby club president, advises female students to give rugby a try.  Foulker said that the first time that one plays, she will know if she is going to enjoy playing.

Faulker has been a member for the past four years and got involved through alumni of the UW-Platteville’s club.

Rachel Voll, senior criminal justice major, said that she thinks other women should join if they were athletes in high school but cannot play their sports at the college level.

With no experience necessary, only three current members have any previous experience, the team is always accepting new members.

Each rugby game is 80 minutes long with no timeouts. The only break teams get is during the 10 minute halftime. Players run an average of five to nine miles per game.

Like football, rugby is a high-contact sport, but rugby players wear far less to protect themselves against injury than football players.

A rugby player’s uniform usually consists of stiff shorts, a jersey, tall socks, rugby cleats, a mouth gaurd and an optional scrum cap. According to livestrong.com, “A scrum cap is simply a slightly padded helmet that fits over the top of the head and ears.” The caps help protect against cuts and scrapes to the head and cauliflower ears.

Fauler said she has fractured four ribs and has sprained her neck playing rugby. Other women on the team have also been hurt playing, but still play because of the personal challenge and the club’s “15 is 1 and 1 is 15” motto.

Those inte rested in joining the women’s rugby club can contact them through their PioneerLink page.